Sunday, July 29, 2012

A fish, a owl, and a woman named Bettye

Today I went to Goodwill and I found this owl lamp. It is signed by the same woman who made the fish lamp that I posted about on July 22. I suppose when I went to GW the first time, they hadn't put out the owl lamp. The fish lamp was signed Bettye M. The owl lamp has her full name. I wonder sometimes about the previous owners of the things I buy, so I looked her up. I found her obituary. She died July 17, 2012. That was four days after I found the fish. It's sad. The fish is marked 79' and the owl  78'. She kept those items all those years and now they are at Goodwill. I'm assuming no one in the family wanted them. I'm keeping the fish because I love it so much. The owl may go in my booth and I'm sure it will go to a good home. I'm sure she would have been happy to know that someone will appreciate the work she put into those two items.




Linking up to http://herlibraryadventures.blogspot.com/, http://apronthriftgirl.typepad.com/apron_thrift_girl/

11 comments:

  1. It really is sad that the family disposed of her things so quickly after she died. Or maybe she had no family at all, and she was in a nursing facility. I'm sure if that were the case, her things would have been donated immediately. Either way, like you said, it's sad that things she had kept for over 3 decades found their way to GW in only 4 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the obituary she had a daughter and son and 13 grand kids and 37 great-grand kids. It's just interesting to get a back story on who she was. She kept these a very long time. She must have treasured them.

      Delete
  2. I was thinking the same thing (sad) about the length of time between her death and you finding her items, but Dana has a good thought.

    I love both the fish and the owl too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I was shocked about the time frame too. I'm just happy the family donated instead of throwing them away. Lucky for me because I really like these owl and the fish. Funny thing is the light bulb still worked in the owl. I bet she was still using it up until the time she died.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Dana, quite sad that the family disposed of her things so soon after her death, but we know little about her life & to us it may be sad, but she could have been a mean, bitter old woman whose family just didn't want anything to do with her. She could have been sick for awhile, the family could have known & had been packing up her stuff while she was in the hospital knowing there was no hope..

    So many theories..

    I do love her creations. That owl is a beaut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just think the family couldn't see the beauty in these items. They are great in my eyes.

      Delete
  4. you'd think with all those relatives in the family someone would have been a tad sentimental and kept the owl...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well I guess I can't complain because I love it. My mom made pottery too and had a dish shaped like a potato. We kept it for years after her death. I broke it by mistake about a year about, my sister cried.

      Delete
  5. I love the owl lamp--it's so pretty all lit up!

    ReplyDelete